Friday, August 12, 2016

Song of the Day! (1)

Hello everyone,

Christian here. I didn't have the time to sit and develop a longer, more substantial blog post like I had originally intended.

Instead, I thought I'd start a 'Song of the Day' blog, something unique that hopefully will continue every week on this blog.

Music is interesting. It's like a universal language; no matter what country you are in, you can put on a song and soon you'll have people dancing and singing passionately, even if they have no clue what the words are saying.

Case in point: someone tossed on Bailando by Enrique Iglesias, which is just another dirty song all about the singer taking full advantage of some girl sexually, and soon everyone was dancing like this was some beautiful victory song or something (without understanding one words on the Spanish lyrics). Probably not a good idea to dance to songs that you don't know the meaning behind.

Either way, music has a way of unnearthing deep emotions inside us. From grief to joy, hearing a melody can change our whole mood instantly.

For me this week, there has been a lot of work as I'm adjusting back to my new routine here. Without giving too many details, my mom is also heading to the hospital to have an urgent operation today, and that has been a source of anxiety and stress for me as well.

As a result, all week I've been listening to the song 'Psalm 139 (Far Too Wonderful)' by Shane and Shane.

I love Shane and Shane, and their latest album, titled 'Psalms, Vol. 2', is just a collection of worship themed after all these different psalms. It's a wonderful exercise to turn in Bible to the psalm title of the song and read it, then go on to listen to their matching songs, like 'Psalm 139'.

It's a beautiful song that reminds us that God is firmly and completely in control of our lives, from the lowest of lows to the highest of highs (something I need reminding of sometimes).

The lyrics are absolutely beautiful, so if you have any problems understanding them within the song, I urge you to search them up online and read them personally, either with the music or without.

Listening to it, I can't help but close my eyes and surrender all my fears and anxieties to God. It is hard, but we cannot let ourselves be slaves to these emotions that will only pull us away from Christ.

Go listen to this song, and let me know what you think.

Love, Christian


No comments:

Post a Comment