Tuesday, July 19, 2016

What Being Sick Has Taught Me

Hello everyone,

Christian here. Today I am not feeling too well. Right when I thought my trip was into full-swing, a sudden outbreak of some nasty virus has hit me and has basically handicapped me for the day.

This morning I woke up with severe stomach issues after eating some questionable meat for lunch they day before. I barely managed 3 hours of sleep and as a result, I felt completely hungover and dead. My stomach issues and a serious case of nausea weren't helping.

It's funny, when you are sick and you suddenly become weak and vulnerable, you have a lot more time to notice the world around you and watch interactions of all sorts take place. You no longer have the will or energy to be boisterious and good-humored and command the sort of attention you're used to. You can hang back in the shadows (out of necessity) and really observe the words and actions of others.

Today I saw a lot that, for a time, made me feel like I was happy and healthy again.

I was at Marash Church's VBS program later in the morning and I was reintroduced to a newly-married couple who happen to also be missionaries serving in Lebanon. Only one catch: THEY ARE DANISH. Yep, Johannes and Inga certainly don't blend in too well against all the dark hair and olive skin you will see in Lebanon. They don't know any of the major languages spoken in Lebanon (Arabic, Armenian, French) except English, which means they might struggle to communicate in a significant manner to a majority of the people they come across. But, as I watched them play with bunches of kids and attempt to figure out who's playing on which soccer team, I realized how driven and full of the Holy Spirit they truly were; to be able to travel to a foreign country, not know the language(s), the culture, or the people, and still have a heart to serve God and impact other people's lives through their actions.

They are missionaries in a foreign land


I can't write too much else today, as my sanity and thinking are lacking a bit of sleep and anything else I write probably won't make sense. 

Read on, my friends. 

Love, Christian (Day 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment